Call for Applications
Heritage House Publishing seeks an enthusiastic Technology Intern to join our team. The successful candidate will take part in a wide range of clerical, sales, and marketing-oriented duties aimed at implementing our current digital and technical strategies related to ebooks, websites, and bibliographic data management. This full-time position will run from April 1, 2019, through March 31, 2020, and be based at our editorial offices in Victoria, British Columbia. Reporting to the Production Manager, the Intern will work closely with our team of established publishing professionals and gain broad experience and knowledge of the Canadian book publishing industry with a focus on data management, product development, and online marketing.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to)
• Coordinating conversion of print books to various digital formats
• Ensuring digital production workflow by maintaining a digital production schedule and monitoring quality
• Reviewing and tracking bibliographic data quality at vendor/retail partners
• Maintaining a digital asset management system
• Assessing quality of backlist ebook files and revamping to today’s standards
• Reporting ebook sales trends to publisher staff
• Refreshing and enhancing existing bibliographic metadata
• Assisting in implementation of a new data management system
• Industry research and reporting
• Other administrative tasks as required
Required knowledge, skills, and experience
• Undergraduate degree, or equivalent work experience in a related field
• Excellent organizational and planning skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office/Google Docs
• Basic-to-intermediate understanding of HTML/CSS
• Willingness to take direction from a variety of experienced team members and leaders
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a shared office environment
• Professional attitude
• A passion for books!
Desired skills and experience
• Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign and/or Photoshop)
• Familiarity with asset management tools, online analytics, and Google AdWords, keywords or metadata
• Familiarity with WordPress or similar content management systems
• Publishing or book industry experience
Heritage House Publishing is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
Please send a cover letter and CV to Adam Stewart, firstname.lastname@example.org, by March 12, 2019. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.